Sunday, July 1, 2012

My Hero, Grace Kelly!



            Looking back at my earlier posts, I came across "Fashion On Stage," where I wrote about my childhood hero's unique style onstage. Then I got the idea for this post! I think Grace Kelly is so awesome!

     Her tone is soft in some parts, and loud and jazzy in others. She grew up in a family that valued music and the arts. Grace Kelly was a child prodigy, starting on piano at age six. She played classical, but soon got into jazz when she discovered that she enjoyed making up her own tunes versus playing what was written. 


     By age seven, Grace had written her first song titled "On My Way Home." In fourth grade, she started playing clarinet, but she switched to alto saxophone later that year. At age 12 she recorded her first album, Dreaming. Grace Kelly loved the saxophone so much! 

     At age 16, she was the youngest musician ever to be voted to the Down Beat Magazine's Critic's Poll. She also graduated from high school that year, earning a full scholarship to Berklee College of Music. 


     In 2011, Glamour Magazine's Top 10 College Women, obviously in the musician category. When she was 18, she recorded her 6th album, Man With the Hat with jazz legend saxophonist Phil Woods.


    "I first met Grace Kelly at the 2006 summer jazz program at Stanford University. I was amazed at her precocity and talent. Recently she sat in with me and the Jazz Ambassadors Jazz Band at the Pittsfield Jazz Fest. and we jammed together through "I’ll Remember April." How did she sound? I gave her my hat! That is how good she sounded! She is the first alto player to get one. Hooray for the future of jazz and the alto sax!”

               -Phil Woods

     Grace Kelly is so talented! Now you know a little more about my hero. Someday, I hope to sound as amazing as her on the alto sax. Maybe I'll even learn soprano and tenor! Thanks so much for reading!

picture from: http://www.basitours.com/files/newsphotos/grace_kelly_nov_09_01.jpg
                         

                             
                                -K.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment