Sunday, June 24, 2012

Meeting Mr. T

     I'm taking alto saxophone lessons this summer. My first lesson was last week. It is a little frustrating sometimes,like when I have trouble reaching a note, but you can probably understand with starting something new. I am good enough for alto saxophone book two, having played clarinet for two years (Saxophone is similar to clarinet). My teacher (Mr. T) is extremely nice, and very skilled with the alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone, clarinet, and flute. Who knows what else he plays! When meeting Mr. T for the first time, he was in the practice studio. I walk in the door, saxophone case in my left hand, and from the practice room I could hear him playing. Glancing through the window, I could see he was playing alto sax. I was amazed at how great he sounded. I could tell he must love jazz music too, because of his playing style. He was just running through slurs. I want to play like that someday.

      I learned a lot from him, in just one 45 minute lesson. Like how he helped me go higher on the scale then I could do on my own. Now I'm not going to bore you with millions of stories or musical facts (or just facts in general for that matter), but I can tell you that trying something new is really fun! And, yes, I know that I must sound like an elementary school teacher right now... But it's true! What if you were a prodigy or something, and you never tried? You would never find out that you were amazing at that one thing. Whether it is sports, technology, art, academics or music. Wouldn't that be sad? For those of you who have heard me play, you know that I am no prodigy. I started average. But anyone can be average. It takes a effort to become good at something. So if you try, and become good, then you have a talent (which is hard to find these days). So if you have the option to try something, try it! Because you never know if you will like it or not unless you try.


                               -K.T.

No comments:

Post a Comment